Self-Care Through the Seasons: Ideas for Maintaining a Healthy Routine All Year Long
One of the best things about self-care is how versatile it can be. You can change up your routine as often as you want and there are a limitless number of activities to choose from. For this reason, self-care is something you can continue to practice every single day no matter where you live or what season you’re in. Even as the seasons change, you can make self-care a priority every single day.
Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can make self-care work through all the different seasons:
Winter: With limited sunshine and freezing temps, winter can negatively affect your mental and physical health. For this reason, making sure self-care is a priority during the cold months is super important. Here are some ways to keep the winter blahs away and take care of yourself in the process.
- Create a cozy space – Light some candles, put up string lights on the wall and line your couch with fuzzy blankets. Make yourself a soothing space that you can relax into at the end of the day.
- Have a Spa Night – In the middle of winter, there is nothing like pampering yourself with a face mask, body wrap, foot scrub etc. Allow yourself to relax. Soak up the warmth of a bubble bath while reading a good book or keep lotions on hand to repair any dry skin.
Spring: When gray skies and gloomy days turn into sunshine and flowers, you know that Spring has arrived. It’s a wonderful time to get outside, breathe some fresh air and allow yourself to step into a self-care routine that keeps you happy and healthy. Here are some ways to get yourself refreshed and ready to make the most of this beautiful time of year.
- Get Outdoors – This one is pretty obvious. After being a prisoner in your house all winter long, the best thing you can do is get outside and soak up the sunshine and fresh air. Immerse yourself in nature and explore someplace you’ve never been. Make an effort to take a short walk at least once every day.
- Declutter Your Space – Refresh your home for Spring and get rid of anything you no longer have use for – clothing, books, toys, household items, etc. Have a yard sale and make a little extra cash or simply donate them. When you let go of the unnecessary items that weigh you down, you make room for the more important things in life.
Summer: The days are longer, the weather is warmer, and the kids are out of school – summertime fun must be upon us. This is great time to enjoy the season and take advantage of all the self-care opportunities upon you.
- Start a garden – Gardening can be one of the most satisfying and soothing activities you can do. You’re able to enjoy the beautiful weather, play in the dirt and reap the rewards with beautiful flowers or healthy fruits and vegetables. It’s also a great way to have some bonding time with your family as well.
- Plan a vacation (or staycation): Summer is a great time for family adventures. Create a list of all the activities you’d like to do and start planning. Explore the sights in your own hometown and stay overnight in a local hotel. Take a road trip or plan a weekend getaway. Give yourself something to get excited about over the next few months.
Fall: There is so much to love about the Fall season – crisp air, pumpkins, bonfires, football and hoodies. It’s a great time to unwind and relax from the crazy summer chaos and listen to what your mind and body truly need.
- Visit the Pumpkin Patch – Nothing says fall fun like a trip to the pumpkin patch. Relive your childhood and stroll through rows upon rows of pumpkins until you pick out the perfect one. Jump on a hayrack ride or take a walk through the corn maze. Enjoy the fall colors and soak up the last bits of warm afternoon sunshine.
- Start Cooking/Baking – When the weather gets cooler, it’s the perfect time to break out the crockpot and indulge in some of your favorite fall comfort food. Bake some bread or make up a big pot of chili. Get cozy in the kitchen and nourish your body with all your fall favorites.
When it comes to practicing self-care all year long, the options really are limitless. Find out what works for you and change up your routine as often as you need to. Tune in to what your mind and body need throughout the changing seasons.
E.G. Sebastian, is a Business-Development Coach, Corporate Trainer, and founder of Corporate Speaker Academy where he helps coaches, consultants, and authors break into the world of delivering Workshops, Group Coaching programs, or Keynotes to corporate teams. Learn more about E.G. at www.egSebstian.com and connect with him on LinkedIn.