5 Ways Self-Care Impacts Your Mental Health
Taking care of your mental health is just as important as your physical health. In fact, the mind and body are so connected that when your mental health suffers, your physical health is sure to follow in the form of sickness and stress. Routine self-care plays a big role in making sure you develop good mental habits that will keep you operating at 100%.
Here are 5 ways that self-care impacts your mental health in a positive way.
- Greater self-awareness: When you allow yourself to practice self-care on a routine basis, you become more in touch yourself – your feelings, emotions, things you like and don’t like. You begin listening to your body and setting necessary boundaries. You begin to re-connect with old passions and discover new interests as well. When you start giving your mind and body the care you deserve, a world of possibility opens up because you know who you truly are.
- Positivity: Self-care is all about bringing positive change to your life. By slowing down and being more intentional with your time, you’ll begin to appreciate life on a greater level than what you ever have before. The more you put yourself first, the better you’ll feel and the more confident you’ll become. Your attitude is bound to improve, and your future outlook will be that much brighter. It’s much easier to look at the world through a lens of gratitude and optimism when you feel good and have confidence in yourself.
- Less Stress: We aren’t always able to avoid stress in the fast paced, chaotic world we live in. However, we can make it a little easier to handle by allowing self-care to be a part of our daily routine. Taking care of your mind and body through adequate sleep, a good amount of exercise and healthy nutrition is great way to combat the stressors that come about in life. Through routine self-care, you’re able to a build up a resilience that can get you through even the hardest of times, simply because you’ve got a full tank, physically and emotionally.
- Healthier Relationships: The less you love yourself, the more toxic your relationships will be. This is why self-care is so important – it’s the act of showing yourself love in simple little ways, every single day. By doing this, you’ll start to embrace who you are, and you’ll attract people who mirror that. With a little self-care, you’ll be able to give the best possible version of yourself to every relationship you have.
- More Confidence: Your confidence level is determined by how you feel about yourself and your situation. If you tend to put everyone else’s needs ahead of your own and neglect yourself, most likely your confidence is going to suffer. It’s like telling yourself you’re not worthy of the attention. This is where self-care comes in. When you make time for things you enjoy and place your own well-being at the top of the priority list, you’ll be happier and more self-assured. Practicing self-care produces positive feelings and helps you maintain a healthier, more confident relationship with yourself and others.
When you take care of your mental health, through routine self-care, the positive effects ripple down through every area of your life and make a huge impact on the direction your life will take.
E.G. Sebastian, is a Business-Development Coach, Corporate Trainer, and founder of Corporate Speaker Academy where he helps coaches, consultants, and authors break into the world of delivering Workshops, Group Coaching programs, or Keynotes to corporate teams. Learn more about E.G. at www.egSebstian.com and connect with him on LinkedIn.